Sunday, November 16, 2008

A Day of Culture

What a day I had Saturday! Leaving my favorite husband at home to do guy things (of course, he likes culture, too, but this was a "Girl's Day Out"), I got to Janet's at 9:30 a.m. and we immediately went to the Strathmore Museum for the Miniatures Collectors' opening. I am astounded by the ability of some artists to create such tiny, intricate paintings. And, of course, once again, I indulged myself by purchasing a beautiful little watercolor...by the same artist whose painting I bought last year! I now have five miniature paintings, collected over the last 18 years. One man who was there when the place opened has collected 200 (yes, 200!) of these paintings over the last 15 years. Janet bought a watercolor of two gray cats sunning themselves. It wasn't one of those "cutesy" paintings you see of cats. It was a beautiful study of light and shadow, with fantastic technique. If she hadn't bought it, I would have. I may have to try my own hand at painting my cats.

Anyway, we left Strathmore by noon and had a light lunch at a vegetarian Chinese restaurant in Rockville, and then headed to the Kennedy Center to hear a young new pianist from Russia, Daria Rabotkina, who is currently pursuing a doctorate from Eastman School of Music. She was very impressive, playing some extremely powerful pieces by Miaskovsky, Rachmaninoff, Prokofiev, and Tchaikovsky. The theme of the performance was the Dies Irae theme that appears in so many classical pieces (including the Liszt Totentanz and Mahler Symphony No. 2, among others). We had great seats overlooking the keyboard, nice and close. I am coming dangerously close to writing a critique, which I don't want to do, but suffice to say she was extremely powerful (oh, yes, I already said that). Of course, these kinds of pieces always impress.

We left the Kennedy Center and drove to a favorite needlework store near Mount Vernon (long drive, but fun). When we left the store, there had been a storm and the sky was gorgeous. Driving up George Washington Parkway (one of my very favorite drives), we saw the most stunningly perfect rainbow over the Potomac. It was a complete arc, and you could discern all of the colors, including purple. I really should keep a camera with me at all times. I don't know what our fascination with rainbows is, but it really got to me. I felt giddy as a child over it!

The drive to Baltimore took longer than usual, but we got there in plenty of time for our 6:30 reservation at our favorite Afghan restaurant, Helmand's. I promise not to write a review, but I do have to say the pumpkin dish was positively mouthwatering.

And then it was to the Lyric Opera House to see the Baltimore Opera Company's production of Bellini's "Norma." I love going to see an opera I have not seen before. It's great to listen to opera, but so much more fun to watch it performed. It's kind of like "collecting" performances, much like Janet's bird-watching ("birding" they call it) expeditions, where they collect bird sightings. It's more cerebral than tangible.

We got out around 11:30, it took us another 20 minutes just to get out of the garage, and then about 30 minutes to get to her house. I didn't get to bed until 1:30 a.m. It was a most excellent day. I feel very cultured. For now.

No comments: