Tuesday, April 29, 2008

A Crate Success

As I already mentioned, we have been leaving Kira out of her crate at night and she has stopped the wolf howling. Today, I took a chance and left her out of her crate while I went to work. I was away for 9 hours, and when I returned everything was as I left it. But Kira was so calm and happy. I took her outside and she did her business. All of it. No more accidents in the house. For most of her life, she has spent most of her waking hours in a crate, and for that reason, we are currently leaving the crate in place, with the door open in case she wants to go into it for security. But I believe she will eventually be completely free of it.

We still need to get more weight on her. We have held off weighing her because of the disappointment from the last weigh-in, when she had LOST two pounds. I am hopeful that she has put on four or five pounds since then. She's still bony, but not as frighteningly skeletal as she was before. H makes me laugh. He has started feeding her with a fork! Well, at least he did it for a couple of meals. I have not personally observed this phenomenon, but I can imagine it... And the image is delightful. He says he doesn't intend to make a habit of it, but it seemed to help her when he did it. It may take her a while, but she does eat her entire meal, usually leaving one or two kibbles for the cats. Ziggy used to inhale his meal as if he was never going to eat again. Not so with Kira. She grazes.

So, we continue to progress. I hope we don't lose ground when we leave her at the kennel during our trip to Europe to visit our elusive offspring living his elusive university life. But that's a month and a half away. Much more progress can be made before then...

No comments: