Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Sweet Dog

We'd really like to get Kira on a dry-food diet. Mostly because the vet says the dry food is healthier for her and really keeps her teeth clean. Also I don't trust canned food after all the news last year about contamination found in so many brands of dog food and cat food, leading to illness and in some cases death of pets. But we want to get more weight on that dog. So we are in a tough spot.

She's a little bit of a brat, too. She loves the canned food, and will deign eat the kibbles if they are covered with canned food. So, yesterday afternoon, I tried an experiment and dropped about a dozen kibbles in Kira's bowl to see if she would eat them. She sniffed them and looked back at me with disappointment...clearly not intending to eat those dried up things.

But the cats zoomed right in on them. "Hey," I said to Kira, "That's YOUR dinner. The cats are going to eat it up." I swear that dog knew what I was saying. She immediately stuck her head in and started lifting out kibbles and eating them. She was so gentle! Both cats' heads were in the bowl, and she just worked around them. Then when there were just two kibbles left, she moved Wolfie away by just moving her head and she finished the two kibbles off. I wish I'd had a camera with me at the time. She is very sweet.

I wish I had my camera right now! Daily is doing his thing with one of my blouses. When the soft afghan is not available, I guess he just has to make do with what's around. He's wierd.

Must go. A friend is stopping by this evening.

1 comment:

Amy said...

I think my Molly would leave the kibbles and pick up my cats instead... but only if they would run. She doesn't hate cats, but she simply cannot refrain from chasing, then catching, then holding on very hard to whatever will run from her. My cats do not enjoy this game... neither do the chipmunks in the back yard... especially the one that Molly caught 3 times last year - dropped it everytime we yelled at her, then when it started to run, picked it back up again... til we finally got to her and rescued the traumatized little thing.

Molly is my German Shepherd. My cats give her evil looks. They are not friends... though I plan to make sure that Molly's pup (someday in the future) loves my kitties and they will play nice together.