Monday, August 11, 2008

Olympic Fever

It may be a while before I get back to my blog...I am SO wrapped up in the Summer Olympics right now. Is it just me, or does it seem like the coverage is SO much better this year than ever before? Is it because Beijing is 12 hours earlier? Who knows?

Last week, I worked long hours at the office, and even on my day off. It's another one of those nasty cases (they seem to be coming along more and more often, probably because everyone expects the administration to change and the free ride to end but enough politics). I had planned to help my friend Dorothy move on Friday, but had to work instead. H and I were able to help her on Saturday, along with some other friends and movers. We were all exhausted. We started at 8 in the morning and finished by 2:30 in the afternoon. H and I went home and I showered and took a 20 minute nap, then started watching Olympic events. I like to work on things while I watch TV (review documents, do a little needlepoint, some knitting, paperwork, etc.) but I found it a little difficult to do much of anything but watch the action. If it hadn't been for the commercials, I wouldn't have accomplished anything.

I'm a big Michael Phelps fan, and he has not disappointed! The 400 meter was exciting, especially when he was a full body length ahead of the next swimmer at the end, and breaking his own world record to boot. Fantastic! Then we watched the basketball game between the US and China this morning. Loved that, too! And the gymnastics. But I was SO worried about the men's relay event tonight. The announcers kept talking about how there was no way the Americans would beat the French in this relay. And even until the last few seconds, I didn't believe it would happen. But, Damn! They did it! This time, I found myself sitting on the edge of the sofa. Then standing in front of the sofa. Then in front of the television. If I'd gotten any closer I would have been in the water with them!

So. Here it is. I'm just going to be so busy this week, between the job and the Olympics that it may be a while before I write again.

1 comment:

A Girl From Texas said...

I love it when America kicks butt in the Olympics.