Monday, September 1, 2008

Life on the High Seas

Well, ok, so it's not really the high seas. But when our anniversary came around two weeks ago, H asked me what I wanted. I said "Let's not get each other something. Let's get something for US together. Or for the house." We both liked that idea, but a couple of days later, H says he's gotten something for us and he hopes I like it. He won't tell me what it is, but it's for us. The morning of our anniversary, I hear him outside banging on the BAT (big-assed truck) and I look out to see him putting the racks on it (we use them for such things as sheetrock and two-by-fours and the like, you know, for the house. But I knew he wasn't getting something for the house). I went outside and walked up to him and said "Just tell me it's not kayaks..." He knows I'm not ready for a kayak just yet. I love canoeing but I'm just not ready for a kayak. Someday. Not yet. "No, it's a canoe. We're going to pick it up now."

Yippee! A canoe! One of our first dates was a canoe ride on Summerville Lake in Texas. That was a lot of years ago! And I absolutely loved it. Then, throughout the years, we'd occasionally go canoeing with the elusive one. Then, he and the elusive one did a 10-day canoe trip in Canada, complete with backpacks, tents, and portage experience. We always wanted our own canoe, but there were other things that took the money then.

He found this one on Craig's list...a 14-foot Mad River Canoe. A little heavy...about 80 pounds. But not expensive. We picked up the canoe, went to lunch, then headed out to Mason Neck for our very first ride in our new canoe. We were only out on the water about 45 minutes to an hour. We saw several osprey and a bald eagle (being chased by a gull!), And you know the sound the eagle makes in the movies? It sounds so cool in real life! The water was calm, but I was very tired when we pulled the canoe out of the water. Despite the sunblock, I got a little too much sun...not a good idea for a red head. But I absolutely loved it. I expected my arms to be sore, but it was my neck that ached. I still loved it. I wanted to go out again the next day, but we already had plans.

So, this morning, we drove up to River Bend, above Great Falls. We paddled up river for about an hour, even trying our ability against some tough water. We decided to portage at one point...I'm not going to want to do too much of that with this canoe. Dang! It's heavy and awkward.
Then we came back down river. It took half the time. I worked much harder this week. I need to find a really strong sunblock, and a wide-brimmed hat. I've been using a painter's hat and it's not protecting my face well enough.

I feel great! I love this canoe! Can't wait for next weekend. Somebody suggested Burke Lake. I could go back to River Bend again and again, it's so beautiful. Maybe I'm ready for a kayak after all!