Sunday, March 23, 2008

Easter, our first full day together

At the same time that we were signing the papers for Kira yesterday, my friend, Nancy, was going through the sad process of euthanizing her sweet beagle, Doobie. She and her family adopted Doobie a year and a half ago, knowing that Doobie was already probably 12, and in dire need of rescue, and probably not long for the world...the prognosis was that he might last another six months or so. The first time I saw Doobie, he looked deformed from malnutrition and probably abuse. He was so afraid that he would not come to anyone. Yet, he clearly WANTED to be loved and to meet people. Nancy and her family set about rehabilitating sweet Doobie and I watched an incredible transformation. The change was most obvious a couple of months ago when I came for a visit. As I came in the door, Doobie raced to greet me, all wiggles and happiness, with the most lovely healthy beagle body. He had many physical issues, including a problem with his renal system. Nancy took him to the vet. She fed him a special diet. She cooked rice and chicken broth for him and celebrated the way he would leap up onto his back feet and yodel for dinner. And it really did make him irresistable. My last memory of Doobie was of him in Nancy's lap, on his back with his head under her chin, ears flopped back, belly up, happy and so relaxed, waiting for his beer and the remote control. In one and a half years, Doobie went from an unwanted, abused senior dog to a beloved, happy member of a family.

We had Easter dinner with Nancy and her family. Despite her loss, she was ready to see more dogs in addition to her remaining little Valentine. So a friend brought two pugs and she asked us to bring Kira. We turned all the dogs loose in the huge fenced-in back yard and they ran and played like children. One of the pugs started grabbing sticks and racing around the yard and Kira raced after him. She may be fast and athletic, but she couldn't keep up with that pug for nuthin! They had us laughing so hard I thought my face would break. But what I loved the most was the way Kira would circle back to me periodically and brush her nose against my hand. She didn't quite want me to touch her necessarily, but she wanted reassurance. And when H called her, she came running all the way from the farthest fence (what a BEAUTIFUL lope!!!) to him...but didn't quite get to his hand. It took some coaxing. I honestly believe we will be able to go to the doggy park sometime this week, and that she will return to us when we call her.

She is slowly learning to trust us. This morning, we got up early, took her outside to see if she would do her business...she would not. We walked down to Starbucks and sat outside with her so that she would get used to people coming and going. She shook a bit, but I ignored the shaking and occasionally rubbed between her ears. I didn't want to encourage the imbalance. Sure enough, she got over the shaking, and people stopped to say how beautiful she was and to pat her. Then we walked home (up and down hills, again, sigh), and we made our breakfast. We took her into the truck (she now knows "up" means to get into the truck) to Pet Smart, where we all went into the store and got her a new tag with her name and our address on it. We took her to fill the truck with diesel. Then we went to see my friend Dorothy and her kids to introduce her to more people. We went home and she rested nicely in the back room until time to go to Nancy's. But before dinner, we picked up my niece, Kat. More people to introduce her to. Boy, is she getting socialized!

Around 5:30, we brought my niece back to the house and all had a cup of tea and relaxed for a while until time to drive Kat home. Kira is really getting to know this truck and the migration thing. When we got home, we invited her into the rest of the downstairs and she seemed to really like being with us. She lay down on the floor next to H and he petted her for quite while, even getting a sweet nibble from her. Ziggy used to do that. She learned that she is not allowed to get onto the furniture in this house (she ruled the furniture at Karen's house). We have the best cats in the world. They are totally, completely comfortable around her. I think Caesar Millan would be pleased with the calm energy that we are projecting. Of course, there is still so much to do with her, and I know I am making mistakes right and left, but I am just so happy with her. I'd like her to learn to pee and poop on command the way Ziggy used to do. But she is still just so off base.

I have noticed something interesting about her. Where you could speak firmly to Ziggy, and even raise your voice a little now and then to get his attention (because he didn't always hear you), you must be very gentle with this girl. Loud noises startle her right now. I do believe that this will not always be the case. We will see how things progress. I have not had to speak sharply to her, because she reacts very well to a noise I make to get her attention and to let her know when she is not allowed to do something. Like getting up on the furniture. She learns very fast. Here's a funny thing she does: she jumps up onto her crate to look out the windows! Her crate is at least 3 feet high. It's a little wierd to see her up there. We say "off" and she gets down. We are using that command for her to jump out of the truck, too.

There is so much to learn with her. Ziggy was completely different. First, he was unbelievably tough. He was a big, strong, protective male dog. He was completely unafraid. People, dogs, cars, cats. Except, he didn't like thunder or gunshots (from living in the country in Texas). Not that he heard gunshots where we live. But there was plenty of thunder. Ziggy responded almost instantly to commands, especially "come" and "wait." However, he often took his time sitting...I'd have to say "butt down, please." And then he would sit. Because he was so big and likely to knock you over getting to his dinner, I made him stay a respectable distance away while I prepared the bowl of food, then had him sit in front of the bowl until I released him...and, boy, did I love the way he would look up at me, waiting for the release. He was a sweetie. Sometimes, he had trouble remembering the first part, going a respectable distance away, and I'd say "excuse me." And he always woofed and went where he was supposed to be. I often said "excuse me" if he didn't do what he was told right away, and he always seemed to understand what I wanted. That's what I mean about how eerie it can be knowing that a dog understands what you mean. Well, Kira is learning quickly. Where Ziggy absolutely LOVED doggy treats as his reward, food does not seem to be an incentive for Kira at all. What seems to work for her is praise. How interesting.

I have so much to learn about her. So much to learn about myself. This becoming a dog person is quite wonderful, isn't it?