Monday, March 17, 2008

Kira Revisited

The hub got home this afternoon and I was SO glad to see him! Suddenly the world was much brighter. I'm sure part of my deep despression was the fact that, not only was Ziggy gone, but he was too. It felt like I had lost them both. But all is well. He is home. After I told him all about Kira he suggested we go out to see her. Tonight. We called Karen and she agreed. It was a long drive out there. But Wow! Kira immediately took to H. She licked him on the face, and walked right next to him. She climbed onto the sofa behind him and snuzzled. What a sweetie. Luckily, I made a better impression on Karen this time. I was much calmer because he was there. Also, I already knew about the barking dogs and the tight quarters, so I was well prepared.

Certainly, Karen loves those dogs. And they love her, too. She really did a good job socializing them. And, clearly, she wants what is best for Kira. I asked her if she was going to be alright letting her go and she got a little teary, but said she would be ok if she knew Kira was going to the best home. I think she likes my husband a lot better than me (not that I blame her, after yesterday's performance!). Kira so readily took to him, and he brightened with her. He was ready to take her home right then and there. They connected. I loved the way she pranced along next to him when we walked her.

OK, so I admit I am very attached to her. I want her to be part of our family, our pack. I hope Karen chooses us among the several people who have expressed interest in Kira. H wants her, too. He keeps thinking he has to get up and walk Ziggy, and he says he understands what I mean when I say there is a hole that only a dog can fill. I think Kira would help us move beyond the loss of Ziggy.

There will never be another Ziggy. There will be other wonderful dogs, but never another Ziggy. I think I am should make a Ziggy memory book.

I must get some sleep, and I hope I will sleep well for the first time in over a week. Not just because we have agreed we want Kira, but more because H is home again. And if we get Kira, it will be even better. For all of us. When H got home this afternoon, every time he walked into the house with his gear, Daily was sitting on the newel post, leaning out, looking for Ziggy. Once again, it was clear. That cat didn't have to talk for us to understand what was going on. It would be good for him, too, if Kira came to us.

Enough. I must sleep. I am exhausted.

4 comments:

A Girl From Texas said...

Hey you. I want you to have Kira, too. Now it's pins and needles.

Did she say when a decision would be made?

SunWolf said...

Hi Girl. I thought Karen would be the decider. But now I think the German Shepherd Rescue group will be. They have competing applications. I don't know how they decide between them. I wish I had not let myself get so attached. I'm depressed with worrying. If we don't get her, my heart is going to break all over again. I don't think I will look for another dog for a while. It's just too much heartache for now.

A Girl From Texas said...

Maybe they'll do an in person interview with you and the Hub.

Unknown said...

Hey, it's EO, here. Just wanted to let you know I found the blog and I've read through it.

Kira sounds like an amazing dog (I found the VGSRLeague right after you told me you'd been looking at "Kira". Found her quickly, too. She's absolutely gorgeous and I know that she's got an amazing personality, too, if you like her).

Y'know, it's all a bit weird to me, still, but I know there's a GS-sized hole at the manor, and there's only one thing that can fill something that shape.

I'm hoping for you guys; they'd have to be fools to reject the two of you. After (I'd say fairly successfully) raising a kid and having Ziggy from about the same age as well, you two are the best choices around.

The weirdest thing to me is that she (or he, if this for some odd reason doesn't work out) will be your (you and H's) dog from the get-go. I need to get a place of my own so I can claim a dog, myself.

Much love. Will call soon (tonight was really not good for it).

EO